Friday, April 25, 2008

Five Minutes of Hell and Peace Ensues

I never thought a simple bookstore would unleash so much evil on me and my two boys in a span of five minutes!
Let me explain...
I rarely, if ever, go to very many stores that don't start with "W" and end with "T", unless I am looking for a very specific item that my favorite store doesn't carry. In this case, the item that Wally World didn't carry was a book my son requested for his birthday. So, off I trekked to Barnes and Noble Bookstore with my two boys in tow to get, Star Wars: The Complete Cross-Section Book. It's a clean and clever book with all the spaceships drawn in fine detail and then cross-sectioned so you can see everything inside and out.
Well, I opened the doors and at first glance to my right were these rather big boxes with this on them: How to Learn the Ancient Art of Tarot Cards. This was under a big sign that said, "Mother's Day Gifts". Two thoughts came to me quickly:
1. Tarot Cards would be the last thing I want for Mother's Day.
2. The last time I checked, tarot cards weren't an art, but a demonic method to determine someone's future.
So, I continued to go through the second set of doors. I should have stopped at the first set. Immediately to my left were the most evil looking series of Star Wars books. Of course, Ian went right over there and was asking about them. I must be completely in the dark, but I hadn't realized that Star Wars had taken such a turn for the worse. We have let the kids watch the classic movies but none of the newer ones and they certainly don't read these type of Star Wars books.
I went directly to an employee and asked if she could show us where the book was located. She took us to the Star Wars Isle (I didn't know there was such a thing.) and pulled out our book. She saved us from perusing all the isles, shielding us from *who knows* what else. Here we were...there was no end to what you could read. All, series of books spun-off from Star Wars. Most of it looked horrible. "Horrible" meaning painted, goth, demonic-looking faces with the most jagged weapon you could find in hand bracing the covers of each book, one out-doing the next in it's quest for evil surmisings. I hurried, got our book and rushed to the counter.
Could it get any worse? Sure. Just below eye level, there were women(always women, never men) all over the covers of every kind of magazine. One, espcially, unnerved me. She was totally bare-breasted except for a few flowers. I purchased the book, grabbed the receipt and left feeling so overwhelmed with what we were exposed to.
All this in five minutes. I fought the tears as I drove home. I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Oh, lighten up, it's this way everywhere or hey, wal-mart sells wicked things, too." I see both points of view as somewhat valid. I just wonder what the world is going to be like when my kids are my age...worry begins to plaque me. I came home completely zapped by the devil.
The day wore on and it was time for our family to study the bible together. My husband quoted(Psalm 37:1&2), " Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and whither as the green herb." and (Matthew 13:43) "Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear."
Those verses gave me peace. I don't know what the future holds here on this earth, but I do know that God is in control and He will hold His children in the palm of His hand.
In the meantime, I pray. I pray for the hearts of my children to be turned toward Christ. I pray for my husband to be lovingly bold in his sphere of influence on this earth. I pray that Christians would rise up as a holy nation that stands as a stark and loving reality in this darkness. I pray for this world, that men and women and children everywhere would see their wicked state as something that separates them from a Holy God, that they would repent and turn from their wicked ways before it is too late.

No comments:

just life