Monday, September 15, 2008

In Light of this Election

The Life of a Democracy

It has been said that “eventually, all democracies commit suicide.” Since history bears this out, what is the average lifespan of a democratic society? How long will it typically last before forces within it topple or implode it? What are the limits beyond which it cannot survive? What forces threaten it?

The following quotes from well-known American patriots demonstrate the short-lived nature of democracies and why this is so. Wise King Solomon wrote that “Righteousness exalts a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people” (Prov. 14:34). If a democracy has any chance to survive longer than normal, it will only be character found in its citizens that permits this. Consider these statements in light of the severe, fast-increasing moral decay that looms as the very greatest threat to the democratic nations of the West.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over a [lousy] fiscal responsibility, always followed by a dictatorship. The average of the world’s great civilizations before they decline has been 200 years. These nations have progressed in this sequence: From (1) bondage to spiritual faith; from (2) spiritual faith to great courage; from (3) courage to liberty; from (4) liberty to abundance; from (5) abundance to selfishness; from (6) selfishness to complacency; from (7) complacency to apathy; from (8) apathy to dependency; from (9) dependency back again to bondage.”
-Alexander Tyler, in his 1770 book, Cycle of Democracy

George Washington referred to the United States as “a great experiment.” And in his farewell address he said, “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.”

“Is there no virtue among us? If there be not, we are in a wretched situation. No theoretical checks—no form of government can render us secure. To suppose that any form of government will secure liberty or happiness without virtue in the people is a chimerical [an illusion or fabrication of the mind] idea.” And “Democracies have always been spectacles of turbulence and contention and as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths.”
-James Madison

“Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom.”
-Benjamin Franklin

“We have no government armed with powers capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice [greed], ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our constitution as a whale goes through a net.”
-John Adams

“Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis? A conviction in the minds of the people, that these liberties are a gift of God? That they are not violated but with his wrath?”
-Thomas Jefferson

“Men are not flattered by being shown that there has been a difference of purpose between the Almighty and them. To deny it, however, in this case, is to deny that there is a God governing the world.”
-Abraham Lincoln, March 15, 1865, letter to Thurlow Weed one month before his assassination

Compiled by David C. Pack

Me talking now:
I've always been a voter, but I do believe I may sit this election out. There's no way on earth I am voting for Obama. I respect Senator McCain for all that he was put through for our country, but I cannot vote for him based solely upon his tortuous time during the Vietnam war. Palin had me standing up and cheering when I heard her Convention speech, but I am just too old-fashion to think it is a good thing for her to put her pregnant daughter, down syndrome baby and the rest of her family in the back seat for four years(maybe eight depending on if they get re-elected). Just my humble opinion. I haven't made a completely solid decision about it, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be voting.

The heart of the king is in the hand of the Lord and He turns it wherever He will.

7 comments:

Carey said...

Can you let your sister know that I said Happy Birthday! and that I hope she has a fantastic day! I miss her, and I hope she is doing well. I havent talked to her in so long!
Thanks.

Juliet said...

IMHO- No vote - No complaining.

Ann-Marie said...

The best government is a theocracy! I am always on the fence about politics myself - so I understand what you're saying. I am going to vote though - it's a fundamental right people fought for, and I want to use it!

Deb said...

I'm all for voting. I have always been an adamant voter, I love my country and am a patriot of sorts. I vote(or don't vote) according to my conscience, though, but I don't condemn others who will vote according to what they consider their consciences as well. For some reason I do not have peace yet from God about voting this time around(which has never happened to me before). When God speaks I try to stop and listen. I will still complain and write my emails to the senators in my state to support what I believe in as a Christian, because it is my constitutional right to do so. It is also my constitutional right to vote or not to vote with or without the complaining. My say so does not go down the toilet once I choose not to vote for someone in one particular presidential election.

Ann-Marie said...

You think God doesn't want you to vote?

Deb said...

I think that God does not want me to vote for either of these candidates.

Charity said...

Hasn't God allowed these candidates to become the candidates therefore permitting them to possibly be the next president. If you do not vote, even though you do not agree with the nominees, you are allowing someone who has possibly not prayed or carefully considered their vote to count and not yours.
I will vote Mc Cain/Palin this November because I will not stand by and let a man that has no issue with allowing the killing of unborn children to become our President. I would bear some responsibility because I did not do my part to put someone in office that could have possibly helped prevent that child's death if I did not vote just because I did not care for the nominees.
Sorry for my tirade. You hit a sore spot I gues.. I have been struggling wiht the same issue of not wanting to vote this year, but I just can't not vote.

just life