Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Light of this Election, Part II

Could it be God's will for Obama to be voted in as President? Who can know the mind of God? Christians know what His word says in the Bible or least we should, but yet would put so much upon whether or not we make the right decisions in life. The Sovereignty of God is coupled very ingeniously with our decision-making process.

As an example, I would say that God's Sovereignty is in the driver's seat and the decisions we make are in the passenger seat. We make decisions every day and God's Soveriegnty takes our life decisions wherever He wants them to go for His glory. Proverbs 16:9 says, "A man's heart devises his way; but the Lord directs his steps."

Obvioulsy, God would not allow Obama to be voted in as President of the United States for reasons of his being a great Christian candidate to rush in and save America, but what are the other possible reasons?

Maybe there is a trial by fire that must come upon God's people. Look at the oppression of the Jews by the Roman government which was a judgment to the Jews in the times of Jesus. Yet, Jesus never commanded His disciples or His followers to change society by interfering with Roman government, running for political office or establishment of an anti-Roman campaign. Jesus did however obey the laws of the land to maintain the testimony of the Gospel. Jesus never gave any commands to vote for government officials, so we should be careful as Christians not to assume that certain civic responsibilites are binding for all Christians.

So, having said that, where does that put me and my vote? God will have His way with or without my vote. He is Sovereign with or without my vote. I can vote for McCain and maybe I will, but that does not mean that Obama won't get in. The polls people might just lose my ballot, and what then? I really don't think God would put the entire weight of what happens to America on the shoulders of Christian voters who vote the right way or whether they vote at all.

And what about the deceiving spirit of which political campaigns seem to thrive on? God says that He uses the wicked as tools for His purposes(Proverbs 16:4). In John 18:36, Jesus answers Pilate and says, "My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." Never does Jesus mention in any of the Gospels an obligation to the world's kingdom, except to render to Caesar what is Caesar's, to honor civil authorities and submit to their laws, inasmuch as our conscience can cooperate with them. In Christ, we are obligated to His kingdom to carry the Gospel to all of the earth and to keep our testimony unsoiled by the world. Other than that, we are not under the bondage of thinking that the judgments of God on this country can be stopped by our vote. Ultimately, this country is to come under the power of the Beast and the one world system. It is the will of God and it will come to pass, no matter what we vote.

The only thing I am commanded to vote for is the renewing of my mind and the indwelling of God's Holy Spirit (Romans 12:1-2). I am confident that in Jesus Christ I am free from the guilt imposed by others who say it is my Christian duty to vote, which is really the conscience of other people. There is not any clear scripture on voting that I am aware of. Again, I say clear scripture; not the conscience of another person. We need to respect each person's leading of the Holy Spirit and yes, He does lead us in different ways for different reasons.

I will close with this verse and a final thought, "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power, but of God; the powers that be are ordained of God." Romans 13:1

And thus, I will let God be in the driver's seat and I will ride shot gun and cup my hand over my left ear and try to listen to His still small voice while those in the rear attempt to do the back seat driving.

2 comments:

spivey family said...

So does this mean you are not voting?

Deb said...

I don't know yet. Are you going to vote?

just life