Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Our Vacation

We've been back for about a week from being on our trip to the WI/IL area. We were mainly wanting to join a celebration for my Grandma's 90th birthday. It was nice to see the family, but it was strange and very brief. We are not close to the family anymore, so it's like meeting a bunch of familiar faces, but not so familiar in friendship. I would have liked to be a part of everyone's little gatherings they had together with the other family members who were from out of town. We drove 1000 miles to see and be with the whole family. Maybe they think we are not interested in coming over and spending time with them...I don't know. The ones that are close seem to get closer and the ones that are distant seem to drift further apart. If my sister didn't live in the area, I would have been dissappointed by the lack of acknowledgement of our family being in town. One uncle said he would have us to come over and visit maybe, but I guess he was too busy to meet with us. We love the whole family and want to be included, but it's hard when you are nice but exclusive at the same time.

We went to see Grandma in her nursing home and we had a great visit. She has always made time for me no matter how busy she's been and that makes me feel special. Her letters...she always wrote back to me even though her poor old hand has a hard time holding her pen. We could all learn something from her I think.
Just stop and take the time...
Kathy always did that for me when we visited. She always took the time to stop and be with me, make me laugh and show me a good time. I miss her so much. I guess what was isn't anymore and that makes me a little sad. I guess that's life. It's time to start my own family legacy as my childhood family continues to slip through my fingers. I'm sad and happy all at once.

Well, I really didn't want to go there. I did have a great time with my sister. But we could have a great time if we were stranded on a deserted island with nothing but cockroaches and algae to eat.

We spent a lot of time together, just us, as a family and that was very beneficial to us. By the way, our family has been doing just great for all those who want to know. No need to worry about us, God is healing and doing a work in our family we haven't allowed him to do before. Amen and amen!

As for the Rehfeldt family, no hard feelings, I'll always love you from...a distance.

4 comments:

Juliet said...

Dear Deb,
I'm sorry that you feel this way. Perhaps now that you have made me more aware of this I can be a better Aunt. I know that I truly appreciated you all coming. It was great to see everyone.
Love, Aunt Juliet

Deb said...

oh Juliet. Thanks for that. I just remember how things used to be when we were kids. We were a better connected family when we(the Ashmore family) all came to visit. I know that no one is trying to be malicious, but it does hurt when you travel 1000 miles and no one is interested in having you over as company. We're a hoot once you get to know us! :) Love ya' Juliet!

marshan said...

That's rough when the family excludes you, even if it's unintentional.


(I found your BLOG!!! YAY!!!!)

Deb said...

Marshan!
I have been reading your blog...Makenna is an absolute doll! You finally got your girl!!!! Hope you're feeling good...by the looks of all your blog work, scrap booking and homeschooling...you have more energy than me!! I'm due in Jan. with #5. Pray for me!!!!
Love ya',
Deb

just life