Saturday, September 15, 2007

Deb's Got Her Groove Back

School's here again (well, it never actually went away, aren't we all learning something knew everyday?). And I think, I got my groove back. For a while there I felt as if I was spiraling out of control, lost in a sea of Abeka books (and there's a ton for all of you who use their curriculum!), work sheets, planners and pencils! I came up with a really great idea for myself. It takes all day to teach if I go "by the book" the way they do in a typical school setting so I'm going to try a different strategy this year. Jacob's first grade year will be completely taught with all the typical lesson plans and workbooks, the way Abeka has it orginally set up. With Ian, I will skip the lesson plans each day and teach him directly out of his workbooks and have him do his seat work on his own, if he needs help he can come to me. He is such an avid reader that I feel confident in letting him do his own work and helping him when he needs it. I will, of course, go over his work to see if he's understanding all the concepts.

Brian helps me in the morning by occupying the other children so I can completely concentrate on Jacob for two hours. I have been trying to make a nice dinner for lunch each day before Brian goes to work at 2. So, it's chores and then breakfast, bible time, then Jacob's schooling, Daddy keeps all the other kids happy, then a nice lunch, then Sarah goes down for her nap, then it's time to school Ian and to make time for Lauren(she usually likes to paint or read books or play a learning game on the computer if I'm not available to her at the moment), then mommy gets a nap while baby's asleep and other kids are watching a video or playing a computer game, more chores, dinner time, quiet, read-a-book time, baths, brush teeth, prayers and ready for bed!

Yeah, Buddy! Deb's got her groove back. It's nice to have a schedule again after Summer's long, free-for-all. Thank you, Lord! Hey, I know life doesn't always work this neatly and I'm okay with that. But for most days, I hope this schedule works out for our family.

4 comments:

marshan said...

We're supposed to have some sort of a schedule??? AHHHHHH!!!!!
I should try that sometime. Right now, even as I type this, we are 1 1/2 hours behind schedule. (I let the kids sleeep in..)
WHoops!

Deb said...

Hey, I'm not talking rigid schedule, just a basic idea of one! :) Mommy slept in this morning herself!

Ann-Marie said...

Hey, Deb! This is in response to your other post -

I'm sorry you felt left out when you traveled all that way to be here for Grandma's birthday!

I totally agree with you about Aunt Kathy. She had the gift of hospitality,didn't she? Now that she's gone, even those of us "here" don't get together nearly as much as we all used to - Aunt Kathy was always the one who brought us together! We miss her, too! She was like my second mom.

I struggle with feeling left out, too. So, I'm especially sorry you went through that feeling. It was a tough thing - I had to take three days off from work to prepare for houseguests, and so I couldn't take any additional time off. That made seeing people even more difficult.

Next time, let's make an effort to get together - like maybe for pizza!

I hope you always know (even if we accidentally screwed up this time) that your "Rockford" family loves you! We really, really do!

Deb said...

Thanks for that, Ann-Marie. I know you all have good hearts, but it can be forgotten how much we out of town family members want to see you and spend time with you. We aren't going to invite ourselves over, though, that's kind of tacky. And hey, you only get to see us once every several years. Hopefully we have better luck getting together next time in another three years! :(

just life