Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Summertime


Ahhhh, Summertime. Down here in good 'ol sunny Florida there is 95 degree weather in the shade and 100% humidity causing sweat to drip like a leaky faucet on your body wherever it possibly can. But ya' know, it doesn't seem to bother the kids too much. The outdoors draws them in, I mean out, no matter what the weather and even more so when I keep the TV and computer off. I remember when I was a kid we were always outside. There weren't too many other options for us when we were little. My parents were always a decade behind in getting the lastest gadget in technology whether it be the infamous VCR or a nintendo gaming system. I think that was a good thing...now. Needless to say, we kids had a ton of great times outside with our neighborhood friends. I remember mom being so lenient in letting us play with her things outside in the summertime. We used to drag blankets, furniture and all sorts of stuff out to the lawn to create whatever we wanted. It was lot's of fun. When I was a kid, the street was a place where we played kick ball, baseball and at night we hang out in the street until our parents called us in. My brothers used to buy candy bars in bulk and set up a store in front of our house where the neighbor kids would buy them. The ice cream truck would drive by and we couldn't wait to get something if we had the money. My favorite was a sherbert ice cream in a plastic cone-shaped cup with a gumball in the bottom. Another memory I can't forget is when my oldest brother would invite us siblings upstairs to the third floor where he had his bedroom with my other brother. He would blair his 80's rock music for us after dad left for work. It was his way of saying, hey, I like you guys, come hang out with your big brother. Fireworks were also a favorite part of the summer for me. They still are. :) I hope my kids have just as many good memories of the summertime as I have! Drop a comment and let me know what your favorite summertime memory is.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

My Favorite summertime memory would be early mornings with my mom. She didn't have to work in the summer and everyone else would still be asleep and I would wake up to the sounds of her putting dishes away or vaccuming and would get up and would have an hour or so of just me and mom. It was the best.

Colleen said...

My Favorite summertime memory would be early mornings with my mom. She didn't have to work in the summer and everyone else would still be asleep and I would wake up to the sounds of her putting dishes away or vaccuming and would get up and would have an hour or so of just me and mom. It was the best.

CANDICE said...

hmmm... Mine would be all of our family would be over and having fun with our cousins when they would visit. I also remember living at grandma's house and playing in the vacant lot adjacent to her house. good times...

Deb said...

I have some fond memories of your mom and in grandma's adjacent lot, too, and they just happen to be in the summertime. Hope you both have a great summer! Brielle is looking cuter and cuter all the time!

Ann-Marie said...

What a great photo! I agree about summertime. We didn't HAVE a TV when I was little, and all the neighborhood kids would hang out and play games. Summertime is a great time to be a kid (and to remember being a kid!).

P.S. - I love the story about the 80's music. Which older brother was it?

Anonymous said...

'Summertime...and the cotton is high'...Only I did not live in the south! Here in Illinois it was the corn that got high! And fun was playing baseball [we are talking about the 40's and 50's here!]with the kids that lived on Ashland Avenue in Rockford, hanging out on the corner till dark just talking with friends.

It was taking long rides with Mom and Dad [your Grandma and Grandpa}and having a blue moon ice cream afterwards. [Ron and I delighted in finding some in a Davis ice cream [and cheese] store only last Wednesday! For decades I have wondered what flavor that was only to discover today it is ALMOND!]

Summer was also going swiming at Levings Lake with my folks, in that dirty muddy water which however cooled us off ! Later we would walk to Fairgrounds Swimming Pool where I cashiered 2 summers in 1958 and 1959!

Summer was also eating tomato sandwiches made of Grandpa's tomatos from his garden he had put in in front of the house on Sherman Ave. [with lots of mayonaise and no bacon!]

As a teenager summer was the joy of being able to make money from a summer job and be able to pay for my shoes in the fall for school.

And today at retirement summer is coming to Rockford to visit with my family: Mom, brothers and sister, nieces and nephews and taking the hours needed to read these precious blogs and comment on them! BLESS OU ALL! Aunt Linda

Oh yes...summer is still enjoying ice cream, strawberry shortcake and much more!

Deb said...

Ann-Marie,

Hi and thanks for the memory! The brother was Matt. He introduced me to Bryan Adams, one of his favorite singers.

Linda,

Wow! It's good to hear from you! Thanks for all the memories you shared! Hope you have a great time while you visit Rockford!

Juliet said...

Perhaps some of my favorite summertime activities are: Playing baseball with the neighborhood kids. Walking everywhere...to the store, swimming grounds, Prince Castle for ice cream cones..etc.

At night we would catch lightning bugs and put them in a jar for awhile..then let them go. To quote a line from All In The Family theme song..."Those were the days."

just life