Tuesday, June 23, 2009

When It Rains, It Pours

When it rains, it pours.



I say that as large, black, ominous clouds pile
up over the roof of my house. The wind is beginning to pick up and it looks like we're in for a real storm. It seems scary, almost as if a tornado could jump up from nowhere at any moment. *Think Dorothy when she couldn't get into her cellar.* One thing is, we sure do need the rain...there has been a drought here for a while.



I remember telling my husband in January, "This year feels like 'the' year." The year for things to go wrong. Well, I was right, but not gladly. These are the times when I wish I was wrong. I really don't know why I would think something like that, but I do believe God put that in my mind and heart for as preparation for all that was coming.

At the top of my long list of things going wrong is my Dad. He has cancer. Cancer in his kidney and possible cancer in his lung and who knows where else. I don't know what to think or say. I feel disconnected from the reality that my Dad could really be sick. I want to see my Dad be okay and to be healed by God. I also want to allow this rain to help quench my own personal drought.

Drought. It's a place many live and sometimes stay for a very long time. I've been there a while myself. Stagnant. Thirsty. Empty. A spiritual wasteland. When in drought, there's not much to get by on. No rain, no food. No food, no growth. No growth, no life. Then comes the rain. It knocks you down with it's weight and you feel like you are being pummeled. It may rain one day. It may rain a whole month.

That rain, the storm, those trials bring life into perspective. It awakens a new sense of what really matters to God and a question of why there is a neglect of what matters to Him. It is a good place to be and in this place a child of God can move forward instead being stagnant or falling back. The rain can drive us headlong into a deeper dependance on Him. Isn't that the best place in the storm? Under His wings? Safely abiding. Constantly abiding. When it rains, it pours and I am thankful for every drop because it is there that we grow the most.

5 comments:

Carey said...

Im so sorry to hear about your Dad Deb. I will be praying for him and you, and Beth, and the rest of your family.

Deb said...

Thank you, Carey for your prayers. How you and yours doing?

Carey said...

Hi Deb..we are all doing alright. One more day of school, then we are off to the beach for a week. So glad summer is here..now if only the bickering would stop...

Carol Lea Ashmore said...

LOVE THE PICTURES OF THE 3 GIRLS (ONE WHICH WASN'T IN MY ALBUM.)
WE APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S PRAYERS FOR YOUR DAD AND ME, TOO. MOM

Juliet said...

So sorry about your Dad. Your mother has kept us up-to-date with what is going on with your Dad.

Our prayers are with your whole family.

just life